Tuesday, August 30, 2005

JJ's response and Mac's



Kenny's words are in italics, are respectful and deserve a response. Maugham promised that if he was such that he would disappear for reasons cited below. I appear in his stead. And yes, Maugham is my creation. Kenny and I just legitimately disagree on the device.
__________________________________________
Mac, I have to assume you're as sick of this as I am.

I do tire of this, but Maugham doesn't, and won't. He comes from good warrior stock and is indefatiguable. That's the beauty of having your own tireless thug around.

But me? Yeah, sure.

Now, I have not been very patient. This is true. Do I regret what I have said? Yes.

Thank you for saying so. I respect that.

Let me ask you. If someone said something negative about one of your friends, wouldn't you step up? If someone said something vile, would you not return the favor?

It's an interesting question in this dynamic. I myself, rarely would. I did take initial umbrage to Doug's remarks as being cruel. Usually I leave it to Maugham to address such stuff. I think by now you understand the dynamic. You seem a bright man, even if we do not agree.

What Doug said about you and your family, I do not agree with. But I did not appreciate your choice to make your feelings about him public. What Doug said in his blog was strictly related to politics and contained no personal attacks. You could have let bygones be bygones (since you do seem obsessed with "forgiveness") and there would have been no problem.

It's possible that in the flurry of attacks on my character, sexuality, politics, family and everything else but a whole host of people at his site that I lost some sight of which ones were from him. He did, I know, go overboard and made numerous personal attacks (outside his attacks in emails) then the piling on was quit intense (I hope you can see that we have tried not to do that here so very much...your own real answers have been respected).

We have no problem with people coming to the forum to disagree.

I disagree. Martha has proved this is not so.

What we did have a problem with was your choice to post under multiple identities and then to lie about the fact that they belonged, in fact, to you.

Yes, I understood this. And I am, admittedly still a bit ambiguous about it. I did talk openly about it though and also did ask for forgiveness and I did apologize...heartfelt.

It's not as black and white for me as it is for you. I respect that it is for you. I do. I think that is why I felt I HAD to apologize. To NOT do so, would be to negate your, and others, deep sense of offense, even though I do not totally agree.

I agreed "enough" and cared enough to apologize. Note that Martha called me on the carpet every bit as much. yet she was banned for no such offense.

When we revealed this, you attempted to spin the exposure of your alter-ego as some sort of great moral lesson. That is what we didn't appreciate. Whether your opinions differed from Doug's or not, Jon invited you to the forum in good faith.

If it was "bad faith" (as Peter Berger would define it) for me to show up as Maugham, it was not less so than for Jon to come to my site in the way he did. I was clearly baited. Even so, it does not negate your point. I have learned from this.

While some of us were already licking our chops after reading the messages on this blog, Jon did not. He did not jump into the fray until after the IP reveal and subsequent flame war. But then again, if I remember correctly, I also attempted a civil discussion with you until the truth was revealed.

I have a hard time keeping you all straight. I know that Sideache and Achoo were both quite contained and gracious (by comparison with what ranks up with the rite of Tareboleum). For the most point it was a shitstorm.

Yes, I have been rather rude to you and for that I am truly sorry. I am prepared to admit that I am in the wrong if you are prepared to do the same.

Sure. Deal. We do not need to agree on details. I can tell your offer is sincere. So was mine a few weeks back. Even so, I am twice your age and should be able to suck it up a little better. You're a good man to be able to do so now. I do respect that.

I said earlier that I was leaving and I ended up not doing so. I have to do so now because, quite literally, my health can no longer take it.

Two responses. yes, I meant to push you, becaue shaming and blaming is a bad habit to get into. But I am concerned about your health and I want you to thrive and be healthy. I will pray for your strength and I imagine Martha will too. It's just our way. You will be in our prayers dauly...especially given what I just read below.

The only excuse (which really is no excuse) that I can give for the things that I have said to you is, as tangential as it may seem, I have been under a lot of worrying stress. Specifically, I have friends and family in both Florida and Louisiana. If you have any knowledge of current events, I think that should say enough.

It does. It is not uncommon to transfer anxiety (I have done it myself) outwardly. It doesn't matter. What matters simply, is that your family and friends are in danger. That is what matters. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

If it's any consolation, and I doubt it is, you're not the only one who has felt my wrath in the past 2 weeks or so.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was 26 I was a fricken attack dog. I headed up an apologetics ministry and routinely evicerated my opponents.

I was sincere. But it was not done in love, or was done in misguided love at best.

I meant well. I really did.

Hey Bro...how do you think I know all yer guy's tricks?

We made kneejerk assessments of your character in regards to your political beliefs, but if you read over your first letter to Doug, you do the same thing.

I did. I do, however, feel mine were based more on reason...like not gassing people with DDT or hosing them down. His assumptions of me were unfounded. I would NEVER advocate the same for a conservative. No...respect, not violence. I sometimes votes for conservatives. I did not appreciate being smeared.

Take a look at it from his perspective. If a right-winger had sent you the same letter, with the political spectrums reversed, how would you have reacted?


Regardless, if you are genuinely sorry for your conduct on our board, then I am ready to apologize for mine on your blog.

Done.

GO take care of your family and your health. Keep us posted (I am DEAD serious). I think I know Martha enough (we have never met) to know she will pray for you and your family Kenny. Keep in touch. Peace.Posted by Picasa

15 Comments:

Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Done. Go in peace.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If i was infront of you both i would give each of you a BIG hug!!

You both are so cool!

Peace of God to you both.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the blog people have a way now to stop these spammer things.

try going here.
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1203

4:16 PM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

I had already given you the beneifit of the doubt. Didn't seem at all your style K. Someone is doing it though. It doesn;t matter. I just X them out in quick order.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Fusion..get back to you later on your political post.

Appreciate the fact you took the time to make your argument and ask real questions. That we can dialogue on. I only did a quick read. but I saw no smearing etc. Much appreciated. We can talk. Maybe we will all learn something.

In the meantime keep us posted on how things are with your family and friends...both transcend politics.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Good news about Kenny's family but keep his friends in prayer.

This is devastation that is not easily comprehensible. Imagine losing your whole home...everything you have?

Pray for Slidell. It sounds very trite, but light a candle for them and every time you pass it say another prayer for their safety and provision.

Then look for ways to send aid as you can. The American people are very generous. Now is a time to show this.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear about your family kenny.
Your friends parents losing thier home is so devastating and rebuilding again will take time.

They have a place to stay i hope?

I will keep them in prayer as they begin to literaly pick up the pieces of thier life and begin again. A pain i can't even begin to imagine.

from what i have witnessed here, i think they have a fine friend in you as you try to give them encouragement.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Sean McGowan said...

Thanks for bringing an end to this, Mac. I think we can all agree that it's best to move on from this fiasco. And just so you know, Doug has had gay friends that died of aids, and he lost one of his own children in the womb, so he has more perspective than you may have thought. If you ever met him in person you'd see he really is a nice guy. He just goes to extremes while online to make his points. I wouldn't take what he said too personally.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Sean McGowan said...

Just to make my self clear, I'm not criticizing Doug when I say that he goes to extremes. I agree with him almost all of the time. I just meant that he's not trying to be a jerk.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Sean , I did not know that about either friends or his child.

Of course that matters.

I hope you will consider this. When we experience loss there are two ways to go...hardening up or learning compassion.

I certainly have real compassion for Doug's personal loss and would always respect that. I respect his views on the unborn, who are really not so.

Life is precious in all forms.

I appreciate your writing.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Sean...understood. Let's all keep Kenny in prayer this evening and all those we do not know.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is stuff like mogwai shows.
Maug was not that vicious.

Why does mogwai have to be so personally vicious?

This is what i mean when i talked about the lengths of shame people on that forum would go.
Not, even any substance.

I hope people can see the difference.

I am glad for the most part people are trying to get along.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Outstanding photoshop work. I'll send it over to Mac. He needs to toughen up anyway.

Thanks again to the reasoned responses by both fusionaddict and Sean. I wanna get back to some comments made yesterday, then if I recall, Javajerk has a beating coming (that's the other guy...Jon).

It's just an assumption, but I doubt that Doug would allow such fine art on his own site if he were not responsible. Once again Doug ("Jack") shows himself to be Lord of the Flies.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Oh and Mogwai, we would never ban you. We invite you to be exactly what you are.

Kisses.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home